Translate

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Sushi Salad

Everybody loves sushi or is that Raymond?  Either way, sushi has become a staple fast food on the same level as hamburgers and pizza.  We all take this fact for granted but recently I was watching old reruns from the late 80's early 90's (either Blossom or Saved by the Bell--don't ask!) and there was a scene where a kid brought sushi in his school lunchbag and this was considered really weird. I am sure today that if a kid takes sushi for lunch, he will be considered cool not weird. When were living in South Africa, one week they had a platter of sushi at the Synagogue's Kiddush. We had to fend all the kids off and tell them that the sushi was exclusively for adults. Anyway, I think that I've made my point!

There are also so many people who make their own sushi including my own daughters and they will tell you how easy it is.  Could be, but it is not as easy as making sushi salad, which is basically taking the sushi ingredients and mixing them in a bowl and voila you have a delicious side dish! My recipe is based on a recipe given to me by my good friend Shelley who is one of the most amazing cooks ever!

The picture here is of the sushi salad that I made last night.  I did not have all of the ingredients for my usual recipe so I winged it a bit and thank G-d it came out yummy!

The Recipe

Ingredients

2 cups uncooked brown rice
5 cups (or slightly less) of water
1/2 cup of rice vinegar
1/4 cup of sugar
1 Tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon salt
1-2 Tablespoons soy sauce
granulated garlic to taste
2 med. cucumbers-peeled and finely diced
2 carrots-peeled and finely diced
5 green onions
1 avocado-finely diced (optional)
3 sheets of Nori seaweed cut with a scissors into tiny pieces
1 red pepper-finely diced (optional)

Directions

Cook rice in water until all is absorbed then cool and fluff and separate with a fork
Bring vinegar, sugar, oil, and salt to a boil and stir until sugar is dissolved
Mix rice and vinegar mixture together and then add the rest of the ingredients

Enjoy profusely!





No comments:

Post a Comment