Translate

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Kale: Super Food and Super Recipe!

As I have noted in the past, I define myself as a foodie.  I am obsessed with most things food. I read cookbooks and internet cooking sites and blogs in my free time and when I daydream I am often planning menus.  Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of other things in my life, work (non-food related), family, friends, Zumba, etc. but food is definitely up there!

Therefore, the way I have approached this whole business of controlling my sugar and LDL (bad cholesterol) through diet (and exercise) as been more about what I can and should eat and finding new and exciting recipes using various foods.  Rather than what I can't and shouldn't eat too often.

Right now in the middle of blogging the phone rang and it was my doctor and I got all nervous as I knew she was calling with my blood test results.  Of course, I thought the worst, that my numbers had probably stayed the same or gotten worse and that I was going to have to stop blogging due to my failure.  But... IT WAS GOOD NEWS! My sugar is down from 104 to 97 (under 100 is normal!). My LDL is down from 140 to 107 and my total cholesterol is down from 194 to 153!  On one hand, I feel like I deserve to celebrate with a creme brulee cheesecake but on the other hand I guess I should "keep up the good work!" and I do enjoy healthy food.  But, for the record, I still eat cheesecake and other yummies every once and a while. But usually only on the weekends or at special events and occassions and the amounts are "within reason".

Anyway, I feel like it's not fair to digress, while you sit and wait with bated breath for the kale recipe.  I would like however to tell you just a bit about kale.  Kale is high in phytonutrients which prevent cancer, and is also a great source of B vitamins, folic acid and manganese, which helps regulate blood sugar and is essential for proper immune system function. To read about other health benefits of kale, read this article by Alison Lewis on the MindBodyGreen website.

And now (drumroll please!) for the recipe

Kale with Tomatoes, Onions, and Garlic

This recipe is based on a recipe posted this week to a facebook group I'm in called "What's for dinner?".  It definitely falls under the category of nutricious and delicious!  This is a great and different vegetable side dish to a meat,poultry, fish, or vegetarian/vegan main course.  Serve with the whole grain of your choice and your meal is complete!

Ingredients

1 package of fresh kale, washed and chopped, stalks removed
1 large onion, chopped coarsely
2-3 large cloves of garlic, chopped finely
3 med-large tomatoes
salt, pepper and cayenne or chili pepper to taste
a little water

Instructions

Sautee onion and garlic in a large pot or pan until onion is soft and translucent
Add chopped tomatoes and sautee for a minute or two more
Add kale, seasoning and water and cover
Simmer and continue cooking while covered, stirring quite often until kale softens but still has a little bit of "bite".

Enjoy!  We did.


No comments:

Post a Comment